Don't Be Vulnerable: How To Avoid Electrical House Fires

As a homeowner, there are number of problems to look out for. One of the biggest things is being sure that your home is not vulnerable to an electrical fire. After all, electrical fires are the cause of 20% of fires in Canada. Here's how to prevent these fires from happening in your home:

Get Inspections:

Too many homeowners fail to receive electrical inspections from a qualified electrician, which is especially dangerous if you live in an older home that is more prone to having bad electrical wiring. In many cases, older homes will need to be rewired if it hasn't been done in the last five years or so or if they have aluminum wiring, which is more fire-prone than copper wiring. Plus, with the constant change in appliance technology, you need strong wiring that can support new technologies. 

Check for Broken Plugs and Cords:

Every once in a while you should be checking for broken plugs or cords near the appliances in your home. Faulty wiring is the main reason electrical fires start in the first place. This is because damaged cords can become overheated easily and start sparking. If those sparks catch on anything flammable, they will start a quick electrical fire. So, if you notice that any wiring is damaged, you need to have a professional electrician rewire these areas, or, in some cases, you can purchase replacement wiring for certain appliances that you can then repair on your own. 

Purchase Overload Protection:

When you have too many appliances plugged into one outlet, it can overload the outlet, making it more vulnerable to overheating and causing a potential fire. If you must have multiple appliances plugged into one outlet, then you should consider purchasing a power strip that comes equipped with overload protection. This is going to significantly reduce the chance of electrical fire in your home.

Keep Flammable Materials Away from Appliances:

Since overheated wiring will begin to spark, these sparks will need something flammable to catch onto in order to start a house fire. If you keep flammables away from these areas, then you can avoid a major house fire. Things such as curtains, rugs, stacks of wood and more should be kept away from all outlets that have appliances plugged into them, even if you know the wiring isn't damaged.

Remember that keeping your home protected from electrical fires by taking extra precautions is more important than you may think. If you believe that your home is probably more vulnerable to electrical fires, be sure to get an inspection from a professional electrician who can provide you with some advice for protecting your home. Click here for more information.


Share